Saturday, June 27, 2009

Selma/Montgomery


June 24th, 2009

Selma, Alabama

The several hours of the van ride to Selma Alabama was completely worth it. Selma to me, felt like the heart of the civil rights tour because their success was unfathomable. As I learned about the history of the movement I felt hurt by the amount of violence the “foot soldiers” had faced as the attempted to cross the Edmund Petus Bridge. I realized the amount of sacrifice the past generation had given for me so that I, as a human being could live my life with equal opportunity and not be attacked for my beliefs.
I felt most optimistic about my future when I learned that the march from Selma to Montgomery was successful and learned that I should never give up when fighting for what I believe in. The whole day was filled with emotion and I am very thankful to have experienced this with my peers, if given the chance to sum up the day in one word I would have to say: empowering.

-Daniel N.

On wednesday we went to the slavery museum. The experience was unforgettable it wasn't what i expected it was actually better. The delimi i had when i entered the place was very shocking. Following that event was the Personage. That was moving and amazing. Just being in the same room he once was in. I actually didn't believe it was once his home. This whole trip about black history has made me more knowledgeable. The slavery museum and the Personage has by far been the best experience i have had on this trip. I will never forget this experience
and back to Montgomery...

-Obsee

My visit to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr's house was truly inspirational. I felt special and meaningful standing in the dining room where he wrote some of his first speeches. It was an honor to be walking on the same floor as such an amazing man, and I got chills staring at and touching his belongings. The house had a prescence about it which demanded attention and gave me chills. It was obvious that inspirational people and world changing speakers had visited the parsonage and walked it's halls. Although the house was small and outdated, it represented the appearance of when MLK began his phenominal work as MIA leader and began his involvement in the Civil Rights Movement. I felt honored and haunted while roaming the halls of the parsonage. It was truly a privlege to stand in MLK's home, and to know that Mrs. King helped recreate the home in it's prime stage. I'm honored to be allowed in the same area as some of the most amazing American's ever. I am so happy that I got a chance to view the remnants of MLK's unforgettable life.

-Emily R

No comments:

Post a Comment