Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Four Little Girls

Today we visited the 16th Street Baptist Church where four young girls were murdered in a racist bombing. They were downstairs getting ready for church, putting on their choir robes when this horrific event stole their futures. Last night, before the church visit, we watched a movie called "Four Little Girls" that showed us images and told the story of that day. The following are the short statement reactions from various students.

- It made me think of being more aware of what I have today, the people around me that support and love me.

- RACISM has no boundaries, no limits and shows no mercy!

- "I am a prisoner of HOPE"

- Makes me wonder how someone can have so much hate for something that they purposely want to cause harm and take away innocent lives.

- Standing, speaking and breathing in the same place where four young girls' lives were taken away is an indescribable feeling.

- The bombing of the 16th St. Church reminded me of my family because of the struggle to rebuild after devastating loss.

- My experience at the church made me feel optimistic for the movement because I felt the pain of the family and friends as I hoped for a better outcome as they all did.

No comments:

Post a Comment